Jiu Jitsu Instructors
Learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from Authenticate Black Belts
Our Instructors are Black Belt Professional’s. Their energy, enthusiasm, helpfulness, and friendliness are proof that our program works. They strive daily to be the best they can be and they’re dedicated to passing along that special quality of assurance and achievement to every student.
Instructor Steve Bartley
Master Bartley started Taekwondo in 1985 with Kee’s Taekwondo, moved to Edmonton in 1989 and started training with Master Sung Lee. Master Bartley has had his own school now for 17 years and it is growing larger and stronger yearly.
Quote from Master Bartley: “There is no “I Can’t” in our school. Anything can be done with the proper effort, guidance and of course time.”
- 6th Dan World Taekwondo Federation Black Belt
- 1st Dan Ketto Ryu Jujitsu Black Belt
- Black Belt in Brazilian Jui Jitsu, received from Rodrigo Resende
- Certified International F.A.S.T. Defense™ Association Instructor
- NCCP Level 2 Coach
- Kettlebell Instructor
- 2008-2010 Alberta Taekwondo Coaching Director
- Proud Father and Husband
- 27 years Taekwondo Experience
- 22 years teaching
Instructor Rodrigo Resende
Professor Resende is the highest rank Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor in Alberta and after 23 years in the martial arts and 11 years teaching experience.
- 3rd degree Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt
- 4th degree Judo black belt
- 23 years of practice and 11 years of teaching experience
- Sensei Rodrigo’s students in the past few years brought home more than 14 medals from BJJ worlds and Pan-American championships, 4 medals from Canadian judo nationals, UFC participation, more than 10 MMA fight wins and several medals from local and provincial Judo and BJJ tournaments.
- 5th place in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt Worlds championship
- Pan American Judo champion
- Brazilian nationals Judo champion
- 4 times Brazilian central champion
- 2nd place in the Brazilian University nationals
- 25 times State champion
- US Open champion
- Quebec Open champion
Instructor Manuel Aragon
Manuel Elias Aragon is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Rodrigo Resende.
He started practicing Brazilian jiu-jitsu in 2003 after having been an avid athlete and Martial Artist with an extensive background in Taekwondo.
Manuel is an avid competitor and has amassed numerous medals throughout his years of competition. Manuel Was the Alberta Brown belt champion in 2012/2013. Manuel also won the Alberta absolute champion at black belt in 2013/2014 for the CBJJF.
As a teacher, Manuel upholds the Rodrigo Resende Academy standards by providing dedicated, detailed instruction, combined with rigorous drilling and sparring. His classes are taught in a respectful environment and he prides himself in giving students the individual attention they require.
Instructor Rob Thompson
Rob Thompson started grappling in 1996 at the age of 12. He was a Freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestler through Jr. High and High school and competed at Canadian Nationals in both disciplines. Rob is also a NCCP level 2 certified wrestling coach.
In 2004 at the age of 20 Rob started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with Steve Bartley at Elite. Rob was one of the early members of Elite’s Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program and had the privilege to train under Black belts David Meyer, Enrique Stefani and Rodrigo Resende. In 2015 after more than a decade of dedicated training Rob received his Black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from Rodrigo Resende.
Since White belt Rob has competed very actively in both Gi and No-Gi BJJ. He was a fixture in the nearly every BJJ competition in Alberta and won multiple provincial titles and absolute divisions. Most recently Rob won the 2014 “Mind, Body, Soul” Brown Belt Super Fight and in 2015 he won the Black belt Super Fight.
Rob is committed to teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and sharing the values of traditional martial arts with his students. He firmly believes in the positive changes that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brings to the lives of its practitioners and is enthusiastic to be able to share the art. He is constantly striving to improve himself and his students both on and off the mats.
Instructor Deb Taylor
Deb Taylor is a 3rd Degree Black Belt and a Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. She teaches the Jr Grapplers program at our school. Deb is always there to jump in and offer her extensive martial arts instructor experience or competently take on any other leadership role. Deb Ma’am is strict but focused, while kind-hearted, and loves to teach martial arts!